Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Perhaps you should spend LESS time on the court...

Recently I had to sell my soul to the devil (aka shop at Wal (gag)...at Wal-Mar.. (gag) ...Wal-Mart. Sorry, I threw up in my mouth a little there).

As I was leaving the store, I was accosted by an African American young man holding an ice cream tub, asking me to make a donation to his school basketball team.

I rarely have cash on me - ANY cash on me - so I didn't donate. I did, however, get a look at the back of his shirt as I walked away. It said:

'(Name of school deleted) basketball
Where the Teamwork Make's
The Dreamwork.'

Umm.......yeah. P'raps if they spent a little more time in English 101 learning about abbreviations and apostrophe usage and a little LESS time on the court, they wouldn't be standing in front of Wal (gag) Mart looking like a bunch of retards.

The kicker for me, though, is that those slogans had to go through MANY hands before they actually got printed, and NObody picked up on it.

WTF? Does basic spelling not matter any more? Have we become so lackadaisical as a society that we let things like that slide? When did it become socially acceptable to substitute 'your' for 'you're' (as in 'your being silly' instead of the proper 'you're being silly')? I see things like that every day and it drives me fucking NUTS.

I really wanted to go tell that young man and his classmates what was wrong with their shirts, but I had a feeling that had I done so, I'd have been met with either hostility or...well, a lack of understanding about what exactly was wrong.

So, I didn't.

And, in doing so, I think I became part of the problem.

No comments: