Tuesday, July 15, 2008

So much for confidentiality

Something happened to me last week that really pissed me off.

My PCP's office is pretty strict about patient confidentiality. Only one person is allowed at the window at a time, and there's a line on the floor about 8' away that people are supposed to stand on/behind so they can't eavesdrop on other people's conversations.

I had to go to my doc to talk about some...err...personal issues. He sent me down to the lab to get some tests done, and told me when I came back to let the front desk know. I dutifully did as he requested, and reported to the front desk. The receptionist started asking me questions about the lab tests I had done, and I was in the middle of explaining them to her when I feel breath on my left shoulder. I turn around, and there's some little asian lady standing so close to me that if I were to step backwards and inch I'd have squashed her toes. I stepped back from the counter and asked her if she'd like to go ahead of me; she said no but still stood there. I asked again, explaining this time that I would prefer to not to discuss my personal information and medical problems with her, someone I don't know, standing right there.

SHe looked me right in the eye and said 'Phssst'.

"Phssst". And rolled her eyes.

The receptionist told her to go stand behind the line until I was done, and she 'phsst'-ed again but went and stood on the line.

Problem over....or so I thought. I went and sat down.

When she was done at the window, she proceeded to walk back and forth in front of me, looking at me every time and making that fucking annoying little 'Phssst' sound whilst rolling her eyes and shaking her head, like I was the one who had done something wrong because I asked her to go in front of me so I could have some privacy. I'm trying to excuse her behaviour and put it down to her culture, but I don't think I can. Rude is rude is rude, period.

The worst part of all of it? Her husband was sitting right there, in uniform with CMSgt stripes on his sleeve. That's the highest enlisted rank there is in the AF, and people don't get to be Chiefs unless they're shit-hot. You've got to be an outstanding troop to attain that rank. He's sitting right there, watching her walk up and down in front of me, phsst-ing and rolling her eyes, yet he does NOTHING. Not a damn thing.

I suggested to the PCP's office that they post a sign on the wall next to the line, telling people to form an orderly line there. They said they already had, but that people didn't bother to read it.

I'm not surprised, to be honest.

People are stupid. And ignorant.

No comments: