Thursday, February 19, 2009

Desired effect

I wasn't an EMT when I responded to this call, I was working with that PD that night and we responded due to the area of town the call originated in. We stood in the background as the medics did their job.

SD medic 1: So, what's the problem? What's going on tonight?

Pt: I'm sleepy and feel odd.

SDM1: Ok...are you taking any medications?

Pt: Yeah, I've been having difficulty sleeping so I went to my doctor and he gave me some sleeping pills.

SDM1: Have you taken any tonight? (it's 2300)

Pt: Yeah, I took one about 45 minutes ago.

SDM1: So, you took a sleeping pill and now you're feeling sleepy?

Pt: Yeah. I wanna go to the ER and get checked out.

SDM1: You do know that sleeping pills will do that, right? That they're designed to make you feel sleepy?

Pt: Really? Well, I still wanna go, just to be on the safe side.

SDM1 (dejectedly and with resignation): Get in.....

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Classic :)

Unknown said...

People are the same everywhere, stupid people more so. And I can't laugh because this happens all the time up here.....