Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A son's love...

My Littlest Guy is a sweetheart. He's a naturally gifted and talented musician, and he is one of the sweetest, most thoughtful kids I know (yes, I know, 'momma-goggles' and all that....but he IS a sweetheart).

Here's how thoughtful he is: Monday is trash day on our street. People usually set their items out on the curb Sunday afternoon. LG, FTS and Will-I-Am (FTS's bf) were driving down the street Sunday afternoon when I saw a little wooden valet (desk/dressing table) sitting next to someone's trash can. I don't know a whole lot about antiques and furniture, but I know solid wood when I see it...and this was solid wood. I remarked that if the valet wasn't rickety I'd use it as a dressing table for my makeup and girly things and that it was a shame that someone was trashing it.

4 hours later, right after dark, here come LG and Numbah Two ....with the valet. "I got it for you, mom, so's you've got somewhere to do your makeup" LG says. "Numbah Two helped me carry it, and they also had a leather couch out there that we're gonna go get for Numbah Two's room".

And they did. Structurally the couch is in good shape, but my gawd was the leather dirty. It took me 3 hours and almost 1/4 can of saddle soap to get it clean, but it cleaned up WONDERFULLY. Why the hell people buy cream leather couches and then don't bother to care for them or clean them properly is beyond me, but....it's clean now and will be taken care of for the rest of it's lifespan.

As for LG's gift to me...bless his little cotton socks. He knew his momma wanted it, so he went trash picking (something his father frowns upon, just so you know. I could care less; one man's trash is another man's treasure) and got it for me.

It hasn't been loved at all. It had spray paint marks on it and the wood (it WAS solid, like I'd thought - and sturdy, too) was SO thirsty.....but I scrubbed it and oiled it and waxed it and it went from a dirty brown to a wonderful dark brown with red highlights in the wood. It's great, and I'm going to use it in my room.

Now I'm on the lookout for an older mirror to hang on the wall in front of it, and an old piano or other stool for me to sit on in front of it. I know how to do needlepoint, and I have plans for a family tree piece to upholster/reupholster the seat of the stool. I want to make it really special......because the piece of furniture was given to me by someone who is incredibly special.

What he did for me is, IMO, a true testament of a 12 year old's love for his mother. I couldn't ask for a better son.

No comments: