Friday, May 15, 2009

I wish I'd never had it done.

I'm starting to wish I'd never had my shoulder capsule reconstructed.

I had the surgery because my shoulder dislocated and subluxated frequently. I did some research before I made the decision and thought I was well informed, but looking back on it I think I should have asked more questions.

The first clue I got about it being a pain of recovery was when the anesthesiologist mentioned something about shoulder surgeries being incredibly painful as he was placing an interscalene block in my neck. The next clue I got was when the nerve block started wearing off and the pain set in.

It was a difficult recovery to say the least, and I have been left with two other medical conditions as a result of the surgery and recovery: a duodenal ulcer and now bicipital tendinitis.

My arm has hurt on and off since the surgery. The surgeon said it was normal and that it would go away. It didn't, and since I've been working things have gotten worse. My elbow started aching last week and I started to ask for help lifting patients because it hurt so bad to do it myself and I was afraid I'd drop them. This morning, flexing my biceps brought tears to my eyes.

So, I saw my doctor. She said I have bicipital tendinitis and that the arthrogram report pre-surgery mentioned tendinopathy, so I've had it for a while. I'm off work for the immediate future and have to see the occupational therapist next Thursday. Because of the ulcer I cannot take ANY NSAIDs or steroids, so I'm on Ultram and tylenol. I don't know when I can go back to work - or if I can go back at all. This tends to be a chronic problem, apparently. I don't know when it's going to get better and I sure as hell don't want to do anything to make it worse.


I don't like being out of work; I really enjoy it and I enjoy the paychecks that accompany it. I can't go back to school full time until Urbie sews on MSgt, so that leaves me with nothing to do but sit at home and play housewife. Some of you might think that's a great deal, but I've been doing that since September of last year and I am really, really tired of it - not to mention bored and frustrated.

This kind of sucks. Had I known then what I know now I don't know that I'd have had the surgery. It's caused more problems than it's solved.

No comments: