Friday, November 21, 2008

Dr Bassman, you're awesome!

I had a follow up with my ortho surgeon yesterday. I asked him if I could blog about him, and he said yeah, so....here we are.

I start physical therapy next week. Passive range of motion exercises to start with, then some active. I can start leaving the sling off for an hour or so at a time, but he suggested that I still sleep with it on until I see him again in 2 weeks. He also said that I could try driving the truck, but not the car (the car is a manual transmission).

So, today I drove. I went to the hospital to drop off my physical therapy prescription. It's a 5 minute drive, and that was plenty long enough for me. It wasn't painful, just uncomfortable and a bit weird and I think that I prefer being chauffered around for the time being. However, at least I know that I CAN drive if I have to.

I can't say enough good things about Dr Bassman. He's an excellent surgeon and a genuinely nice guy and I think that were I not his patient I'd like to get to know him on a personal level - not like that, I'm married! He works ALL the time; that man is in the office or the OR 6 days a week from early morning to late at night and I think that were you to look up the definition of 'workaholic' in the dictionary, there'd be a photo of Dr B staring back at you. He repaired Urbaner's ACL last year and I was impressed with his work then, so I was very happy when I found out that he was going to be taking care of my shoulder for me. I have absolute confidence in his surgical skills and abilities - if anyone reading this lives in the St Louis area and needs orthopedic surgery, don't bother seeing anyone else. If you're given the opportunity to have Doc B work on you, take it! You won't regret it.

Ok, time to put the sling back on and go finish FTS's socks!

1 comment:

Epijunky said...

A good ortho doc is worth their weight in gold... Seriously.

Sounds like you have one :)