Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Worst Dog In The World.

Urbaner and I went to see 'Marley And Me' at the movies yesterday.

I'd read the book about a year ago, so I knew what was in store. I was slightly disappointed that some of what I thought were the significant parts of the book were left out of the film, but was overall really pleased with the adaptation. 'The Worst Dog In The World' was funny where the book was funny and sad where the book was sad and even though I felt like the casting didn't work all the time (Aniston and Wilson are just TOO perfect, you know? I wanted some flaws in the characters; they're not cookie cutters) I was appreciative of what Jen and Owen did with them.

I will say this, though: if you're going to see it, make sure you have Kleenex handy. Plenty of Kleenex. You're going to need them. At the end, all I could hear in the movie theater was sniffling and the rustling of napkins and Kleenex....it was even coming from right next to me. And yes, I cried. I cried in the theater, I cried in the car, I cried in the pet store we went to right after the theater where we saw, upon entering, a dog that looked exactly like Marley standing at the register with his owners (we had gone to the pet store to buy Grace and Noodle toys. We felt guilty, for some reason, and were trying to assuage our guilt). Even Urbaner cried, something that his sons refuse to believe. When I asked them why, they said "because he's a man, and men don't cry". Urbaner stepped in with "No, I'm a REAL man, and REAL men DO cry".

Some days he just amazes me.

No comments: