Sunday, June 21, 2009

I'm crafty

I didn't want plain white shoes like everyone else. I had originally wanted some white Chucks, but couldn't find any. So, I grabbed some cheap-o Payless canvas shoes and doodled on them:







I had originally thought about doing some tattoo styled ones, but with all the Ed Hardy doucheiness that's popular at the moment I decided against it and just went with what I thought the shoe shape lent itself to best.

I have some old-school Vans that I'm thinking deserve a Super Mario Brothers theme drawn on them. Littlest Ling's friend has some white DC's he wants me to decorate - he doesn't know it yet, but he's getting some musically inspired ones (he plays trumpet in the band with LL) with '*insert his favorite musician's name here* is my homeboy' written on the backs.

I haven't drawn or doodled in ages. I've never been what you could describe as an artist; I don't like working on a flat canvas and I don't do well with it. I'm better at drawing and painting on objects - a few years ago I painted saltbox scenes on a bunch of Mason jars I found at the thrift store, filled them with potpourri (again, I made that myself) and gave them to people for Christmas.

I listen to music when I'm crafting - those shoes were drawn on when i was listening to the Beastie Boys and Common. I can't help but think that had an influence on what I drew.

I have plans for a pair of old tatty jeans I have....they're Lucky brand, and I'm thinking that they need some shamrocks cascading down the legs. Maybe I'll listen to The Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly and The Tossers when I'm drawing on them and see what happens.

Anyone got shoes they want decorating?

No comments: