Thursday, April 16, 2009

So long, Morris

My husband's grandfather died peacefully at home this morning. He was under Hospice care, although I didn't know that. He didn't want Urbaner or I to know because he was afraid that it would affect Urbaner's performance and plans to go to Raven school. He also left strict instructions for Urbie to NOT leave school for the funeral.

I had the task of calling my husband at school to inform him. I hate doing that. I had to call his duty section and ask them to call the school and tell Urbie I needed to talk to him urgently (he's not allowed to carry his cell phone during the day and I didn't want to wait until this evening to notify him). When he called me, he was irritated and asked me what I wanted. I started out by saying "I'm so sorry, babe...." and he guessed what was up. He said he was ok, but I could hear the waver in his voice, a waver that grew stronger when I relayed Morris' wishes about NOT leaving school to attend the funeral.

As much as I hope this doesn't affect him, I can't help but think that it will. However, I'm going to try to get him to graduate for his grandfather.....to do it in his memory. I think that's the best tribute he could ever give him.

I have lost a total of 4 people I care about in the last 10 days. That's surreal.

I'm going to go cry again now....let the grieving begin.

2 comments:

ellenr9 said...

As a Jewish follower, I'm sorry for your losses & I wish you long life.

Epijunky said...

I love you, Honey... If there is ANYTHING I can do (including driving to Illinois)tell me.

*tight hugs*