Thursday, December 4, 2008

So long, and thanks for the memories

The time has come for me to say goodbye to you.

In a way, I'm sad...but I'm also very glad. When we started this relationship, I wasn't in my right mind. I was vulnerable and I think you took advantage of that. Had I been more aware I'd have perhaps felt differently.

I found you to be a constant source of aggrivation; you made me feel trapped and ineffective and I really didn't like you. You hung on me every day, clingy and confining and I couldn't get away from you. You were always there, annoying me.

But you grew on me. After a little while I felt like I couldn't function without you. I remember being scared when you weren't around; being apart from you hurt and I didn't like it. You became a source of comfort and security and I actually liked having you around. Your presence made me feel like I could function.

Lately, though.....you've hurt me. Instead of comforting me you make me feel weak and having you around hurts worse than NOT having you around. I've tried to separate myself from you, but I was afraid to say goodbye to you...until today. I talked to someone who I consider to be very intelligent and whose opinion I respect very much this morning, and I told him that I was tired of you but scared to let you go. He gave me his opinion - he said that it was time for us to part ways, that I didn't need you any more and that you were more of a hinderance to me than a help. He made me see than I AM strong enough to cope without you and that it's time for me to let you go.

So I'm taking his advice and I'm ending our relationship. As of today, you are no longer part of my existence. I don't need you anymore...I'm strong enough now to let you go, and I'm only going to get stronger without you. Yes, it may hurt to be without you to start with, but I'll get used to it. Besides, it's a good pain, a constructive, healing pain.

So goodbye, my sling, and thank you for the memories. The two-handed world is calling me and you just can't be a part of that...but I'll never forget you and the time we shared.

RIP NinjaMedic's sling: 10/23/08 - 12/04/08. Gone, but not forgotten.

4 comments:

Epijunky said...

Ninja, I wanted to burn mine the day I finally took it off.

Godspeed Ninja's sling. :)

Chris said...

Finally!

Just be careful without it!

And well done for sticking with it until now

:)

Ninja Pharmer said...

Epi: I seriously considered taking it out back and lighting it up, but decided instead to relegate it to the same box as Urbaner's knee brace. We call it the 'ortho equipment graveyard' and it's at the back of the closet under a pile of other boxes.

Chris: Thank you! I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing....impatient, but I know that if I want to go back to work I need to cool my heels and not try to do too much or else I'll screw myself and could end up prolonging the agony, so to speak.

It IS pretty boring, though.

I get to try and drive the manual transmission car this weekend, yay! That could mean total freedom for me next week if it all goes well...yay!

Anonymous said...

Jeeeez I was getting well bloody worried while I was reading this!

Now that I've read the punchline...

Yay :D :D :D